Sunday, April 24, 2011

Even more from Clarinda's memoirs - my great-great-great grandmother

Grandpa was a very busy man so he didn't take time for us children. We were taught to not be a bother. Hello and goodbye was about all was said. He was a tall man very straight and set a horse well. Speaking of horses he loved them and raised find ones but he gave them all away to the Army when the war started. Papa's folks (Jacob Pevehouse family) came to Texas a few years before the war. We loved Uncle Preston and Uncle... (Missing)

Papa had made the little box for me the year I was 10. It had a butterfly on the lid and he said it was to keep my treasures in. My treasures were the two glass buttons keepsakes from grandma's dress and a scrap of blue ribbon and a pressed flower. What do you think about that for treasures? When we were packing to leave Mama wouldn't let me take the little box said it was not necessary. She was cross with me and my feelings were terrible touched because she had made room for the violin and all our study books. I didn't think they were necessary. Besides all that she scolded me in front of Grandpa which hurt me so bad. I went off to cry. But I knew later that she was very distressed and didn't mean to hurt my feelings. To be unkind was not her way but it sure hurt that morning.

1 comment:

  1. Those were wonderful treasures! Sorry you didn't get to keep your box.

    ReplyDelete